Sunday 24 March 2013

"Hunting"

What am I looking for? It's scary
Frightening
Enlightening.
Criteria?
Just don't think
Or I will succumb
To mild hysteria.
A title can catch my eye
And you must look like one
Not awkward
Out of shape
Like a spilt tin
Of Heinz Alphabetti.
The choice is easier
If I hold onto you
Leaving me only three picks.
Maybe I should listen
To the wise words at A.A.
That's Alcoholics Anonymous
Not the car people.
Look for the similarities
London. Football.
Plain English.
That's it really.
Drinking. Even if...
I don't do that anymore.
Sex. One handed
More often than not.
Other stuff doesn't
Interest me at all.
Translated into English. Que?
What's that all about?
Copying someone's work.
Who runs the red pen
Through it all?
How would I really know
If you even speak
Finnish or French?
Middle of the road
Middle of the stack
Glance at one
Put it back
But the choice is so vast
My seaching will last
There's always some poetry
In a book for me.

Dulwich Poet 24th March 2013

(I visited the Poetry Library again. You can borrow four books at a time. I kept one, renewing it, & found three more to try. This poem is about trying to find ones that I think I might enjoy, by looking through them, shelf by shelf.)

No comments:

Post a Comment