Friday 16 August 2013

"Bloody Hell"

Any old iron,
Any old iron
Any, any old iron!
Except that’s not the case
I have too much iron
But cannot give it away
Instead I have to sit
Not to do my bit
But having blood taken away
As you cannot donate
If you are gay!
Mine is for incinerating
As I’m sat here contemplating
Is this the future I have left
Weekly in an old folks chair?
I’m so ungrateful-do I care?
Strangers opposite at death’s door
What else are their chemo tablets for?
I worry about future unknown
Despite not being proper ill
Seeds of doubt are sown.
Sometimes I have thoughts
Of being dead
Now I want to
Be alive instead!
I suppose I just want
Death on my own terms
Isn’t that what
Everyone yearns?
Got to accept
I’m not getting younger
No idea what the future holds
Other than future ailments will be
A tad more serious than common colds.
 Dulwich Poet 8th August 2013
(I apparently have too much iron in my blood, I am having to go weekly, four weeks first of all, to Lewisham Hospital for them to drain a pint of blood from me, which helps reduce the iron in my blood. Something called ‘hemochromatosis.)

No comments:

Post a Comment