Sunday 4 August 2013

"Postcard Poetry"

Mine wasn't Lewisham
Next borough along
Southwark
East Dulwich to be exact.
I found you in
'After the Dancing Dogs'
Catford was the closest
I got to dogs
Anywhere near Lewisham.
Until it got demolished.
But not by Millwall
Which is in Lewisham
Technically yours
Stolen from the Isle of Dogs
But Bermondsey at heart
So hands off!
But this isn't about your poem.
You have asked the questions
It would be rude not to respond
So from here on
It's all me, me, me!
I am lonely
I am a loser
I am a writer
I exist
I am me.
Is there anything else
You need to know?
Questions on a postcard, please.

Dulwich Poet 4th August 2013

( Postcards have been tucked inside random books on the shelves of the Poetry Library, with the following message on them:"Congratulations! You've found one of only 500 sets of postcards which were hidden in the Poetry Library's collection in summer 2013, as part of london Lines, and to celebrate the Poetry Library's 60th anniversary. We want to discover where our postcards went. Please tell us who you are. Where do you live? What do you want to tell us? Write a poem, make us an image, send us a message about your neighbourhood." There was a poem on the three postcard sized set, called 'Lewisham Childhood' by Alan Brownjohn, hence my reference to Lewisham.)


(I shared this at the 'Poets Anon' group, in Croydon, on Monday 18th August 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment