Saturday 17 August 2013

"Wow Factor"

Have you ever done something
And thought 'what on earth?'
Give a wide berth
But deep down
You want to see
If you can
Rather than fret
And forever regret.
Tonight I had no plan
Other than be a poetry fan
Thanks to Elvis in...
Walthamstow!
No intention of having a go
But a 'half time' rush
Of blood to the head
Made me do something
I thought I'd dread.
But now it's official
Shout it from the rooftops
Poetry rocks!
I'am an 'open mic' virgin
NO MORE!
Read five short poems
And wasn't shown the door.
Nice and polite
Rounds of applause
Even if already converts
To the cause.
I got a laugh & saw some shock
As I rambled on scared of the clock.
There was only a 'crowd' of thirty five
But I was buzzing felt so alive!
Heading home south of the river
What I just did makes me shiver.
Nothing practiced, nothing planned
Just ordinary stuff
From my notebook to hand
But the best thing of all about tonight
Was there were other working class poets
Who love to write.

Dulwich Poet 16th August 2013

( I went to a small poetry event, at Walthamstow Library
(Elvis lives!)
with no intention of sharing any of mine. I had nothing with me anyway. Listening to others read their stuff I asked if there was any space left, during the interval. And they added me to the list! I picked my ones out, short ones, that I'd written within the last few weeks, as the notebooks with the originals were still in my bag. I was so nervous, but also enjoyed it, and am glad I plucked up the courage to share.)

No comments:

Post a Comment