Sunday 4 August 2013

"Not Quite Home"

Hot and tired
As in sweaty hot
Rather than horny hot
After a long weekend.
It wasn't 'that' sort of weekend.
Simply visiting friends
In deepest, darkest Hampshire.
Not that dark at all
If truth be told
A bit of a culture shock
Pure white middle England
Middle class.
Middle of the road
Midsomer Murders land
Without the murders
That would be
Too much like home.
Now I'm back
Where I belong
Almost home
Key in the door
For my treat of the day
Iced ring doughnuts
Half price.
Thank you Winchester Sainsburys
You can take the boy
Out of South London
But you can't take Pikey Corner
Out of the boy.

Dulwich Poet 4th August 2013

(I was in Eastleigh, Hampshire for the weekend. I stopped off in Winchester on the way home. A beautiful, historic old town, but so different to London. I saw no black faces, and the shops were much posher than I was used to on a high street. But in the Sainsburys I still managed to buy some reduced items, as I do when at home.)


(I shared this at the 'Poets Anon' group, in Croydon, on Monday 18th August 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment