Tuesday 28 January 2014

"Honey Monster"

It was one of those stories
That sound insane
You can’t take honey
On a plane.
I could understand
If it was something funky
Like Justin Bieber
Smuggling a monkey.
But to stop you boarding
With a small honey jar
That’s taking security
A bit too far.
Atheist Richard Dawkins
Looked to  heaven in disbelief
Her Majesty’s Customs
Now a honey thief!
Bombs and knives you understand
But how can a jar of honey
Be on the list that’s banned?
Confiscate his honey
And Bin Laden has won
He didn’t die in vain
His work is all done
That secret weapon from the hive
No wonder Al Qaeda thrive.
Honey in your armoury
Is the bees knees
If one tiny jar
Can make an airport freeze.
Now I’ve to tell
Something even more funny
Than the man who lost his honey
When I flew from Scotland
On my way home
They actually confiscated
My Glasgow Celtic snowdome!

Dulwich Poet 28th January 2014

(Richard Dawkins, the well known atheist, was stopped from bringing a jar of honey through customs,  at Edinburgh Airport, at the beginning of November. It made headline news. On  12th November, at ‘Poetry Unplugged’ the host of the open mic evening, Niall O’Sullivan, read a poem he wrote about it out. It inspired me to write this one, for the next time I went there, which is tonight. It’s a poem that I’ve partly thought out in my head already, so was very easy to jot down)

No comments:

Post a Comment