Saturday 4 January 2014

"On The Omnibus"

It's not as if
I'm in a rush
And on the bus
Is hardly a crush.
On my way home
With a new quartet
From the Poetry Library shelves.
176 all the way
I don't care if it takes all day.
Waterloo to Cobb's Corner.
Twice as long as
The Jublilee to Canada Water
Change for the Overground
Or jump off at London Bridge
And British Rail.
And yes, I know
It's NOT British Rail
But I'm old fashioned.
Sat on the lower deck
I realise this bus
Isn't going anywhere fast
But do I care?
No! That is the whole point.
Elephant and Castle
Down the Walworth Road
Across Camberwell Green
Past Denmark Hill.
And William Booth's tower
I've climbed up there
On Open House, you know.
I digress, Dog Kennel Hill
My mum was lollipop lady there
In the Seventies.
Whoops, still digressing.
Dulwich Hamlet Football Club
My spiritual home. no messing.
Around the roundabout
At Goose Green
Where I danced
At one in the morning
When we won the League
At Champion Hill...
(There's a song in that...)
Continuing along
Lordship Lane
St. Thomas More Hall
Went to the cub scouts there
Here's Dulwich Plough
The library I once worked in
On the right
With the Horniman
Further on the left
Sadly just a museum
Rather than a genuine
Horny Male
For which I would have
Jumped off the bus.
Next up is Forest Hill
Hardly a tree in sight
Before I reach my final destination
Of Sydenham.
Almost home.
A pointless journey
You may think
But there is a method
To my madness.
By all means
Throw in pity
Even distainful sadness
For there is rhyme to my reason.
The entire journey
I've been deep in thought
And what you've been reading
Is what I've caught
You might think the bus
Is almost as slow as Shanks'es
And my writing's just as pony
But it's something I love
And a by-product of being lonely.
My end product
Validifies the means
As I've not enjoying writing so much
Since my teens.

Dulwich Poet 4th January 2014

( I sometimes take a bus home from central London, rather than a choice of train and/or tube, the bus taking at least twice as long. But I enjoy the bus, as I usually get out my pen and notebook and write something)

No comments:

Post a Comment