Sunday 5 January 2014

"Papers"

It's a struggle to know
Where's my next poem from
When all the newspapers
Have vanished and gone.
Is it too much to ask
For people to leave
Their 'fish & chip wrappers' behind
For me to pick and choose
If I could find!
Where can I get
My inspiration
If I can't read the
State of the nation?
This recycling lark's
Gone too far
If I can't even pick up
A Daily Star
On a Waterloo bound
Packed eight car.
A single story is all I need
For my 'writers block' to be freed.
All the news nowadays
Electronically read
No more putting
Papers to bed.
Old fashioned me
I feel such a fool
For far more than a pen
A newspaper's my best tool.

Dulwich Poet 5th January 2014

( I sometimes write a poem after spotting something in a newspaper. I always keep an eye out for ones left behind on trains. I was most annoyed when I couldn't find a single one left through an entire train that I got off at earlier at Waterloo Station)

No comments:

Post a Comment