Wednesday 17 April 2013

"Busman's Holiday"

They say you never should Judge a book by it's cover
But for this one
I have no choice
For the cover is the voice
"Overdue Notice"
by David Drake.
I have no idea what he would make
About me writing a poem
About him writing poems!
Imagine!
A whole book of stuff
About my job!
Not thin pamphlet style
But one that will take
A fair while to read
Cover to cover
With a real spine
Not a hand made
Cobbled together effort
Under an ancient
Gestetner jobbie!
Libraries have an unfair reputation
Derided by much of the nation
A bit like poetry.
But writing ditties
About them.
Really?
Whatever next?
Who knows?
You can't tell with prose
Just, as I said
You can't judge a book
By it's cover
Likewise a poet from
The nib of his pen.

 

Dulwich Poet 17th April 2013

(I've been reading a poetry book, by an American professional Librarian, every single poem about libraries. I am an unqualified/'unprofessional' full time Library Assistant, in an inner London council public library, my job for over 26 years)

No comments:

Post a Comment