Sunday 14 April 2013

"My One Man Festival"

Here I am
Atop the middle class kingdom
Former working class fiefdom
Looking down From London's crown
The Royal Festival Hall.
Culture palace for the poor
Or concrecrete carbuncle
From after the War?
Back in her day Maggie thought
It haemmorrhaged cash
Thankfully others weren't so rash
Granted it doesn't get much
Council Estate trade
To affords it's joys
You must be well paid
But there's nuggets of gems
That are free
For folk on tight budgets
To go and see
Lots of no charge events
Through summer on the South Bank
Even busy toilets to share a wank! ;-)
Revolving exhibitions photos and art
Always something to warm your heart.
Or just watch the people go by
A simple way to make time fly.
But what I return for most
Is on floor five
The Poetry Library
Keeping my brain alive.
I'm a working class man
Reclaiming a middle class castle
I've become such a fan but
Feel like a trespassing rascal.
Love it!

 

Dulwich Poet 14th April 2013

( I was at the Royal Festival Hall today, & was standing out on the open balcony on the fifth floor when I wrote this. The place was built for the 'Festival of Britain in 1951, remaining slums cleared, on waht was essentially one huge bomb site, after the Second World War)

No comments:

Post a Comment