Wednesday 3 April 2013

"Not Coining It In"

I spend my money more than I should
It's my little way of doing good
Making sure I get a return
Not rich enough for money to burn.
Got to admit I'm a sucker for a charity shop
It's not knowing what they've got in stock
Usually ancient videos and old books
Occasionally some clothing to improve my looks.
I don't work Wednesdays, time to spare
Strolling through Lewisham without a care
Enticed through the British Red Cross door
Not entirely sure what would be the lure.
Right at the back staring silently, calling me
Tucked away shelves videos for a small fee
75p each was a bit over the top
For a South-East London charidee shop
Didn't take me long to pause
What the heck-for a good cause.
So far, so good.
Then came gormless counter boy
Struggling with his fancy electric till toy.
Not quite sure what button to press
He sussed it out after a guess.
A nice strong bag for two bob on top
Happy with that, so no strop.
Then it all goes pearshaped.
I put my card in the reader to pay
But won't be able to do that today
Turns out this isn't a store for the poor
You have to spend a fiver or more
Otherwise it's shrapnel from your piggy bank
To helps those hurt by shells from a tank.
Turns out I was fifteen pence too low
So I had to turn heels and go.
In something out of character for myself
I left them there on his shelf.
Told him I'd go cashpoint-back in a minute
But I've left them there he can bin it.
I tried my best early doors
Will spend my cash on another cause!

Dulwich Poet 3rd April 2013

( I wanted to pay £4.85 in the British Red Cross charity shop, in Lewisham, today. I was told I could only use my bank card on sales of £5 or more. So instead of gettin £4.85 off of me, they got nothing. I 'could' have come bach with cash, but they are supposed to be a shop, so should have accepted my card)

No comments:

Post a Comment