Friday 5 April 2013

"Worries"

There's nothing worse
Than having thoughts in your head
When you're tired and lying in bed
Thinking you'll save those words
While still yawning
Knowing they'll be gone
By the morning.
Forever.
In fact there is something worse:
Being scared there will be no verse
I dare say this is a writer's curse
Believing your own hype
That your stuff isn't tripe.
Yeah sure, only in your own head
Is it any good.
Otherwise it'll do
Which is more than satifactory.
Truth is I want a slight resemblance
Of normality
And don't want to do what I did
Late last night.
Walking down the road
In the biting cold
Stopping by each lamppost
To jot down another line
Before it's lost forever.
I'm just doing this for fun,
Once it's done, it's done
No editing or red pen scrawls
Massive re-writing, scrunched paper in balls.
Far too serious!
So rather than struggle and try to think
I'll count to ten and simply blink
If nothing comes to mind
There's no need to panic
Otherwise I'll end up manic.
When the time is right
Words will flow
As my future poems
Will surely show.

Dulwich Poet 5th April 2013

(Having written several different poems recently, over the last week or more, I started worrying a little about if my thoughts would dry up)

No comments:

Post a Comment