Wednesday 10 April 2013

"Realisation Poetry"

I write because...
Well I've said it before
It's because I enjoy it
There's also the pleasant
Element of surprise
As I get into it
And the realisation hits home
That...hey, some of what I write
Isn't just ok.but quite good.
Not all of it mind.
Not all is Kipling of the cake kind
Plenty is exceedingly average.
But as I skim hundreds and thousands
Not off the top of cakes
But poetry on the shelves
Of the scruptuously tempting
Saison Poetry Library
I am struck by what is missing.
Where are my kind?
Working class geezers
Brought on Beezers
And Whizzer and Chips
From Council estates?
So hard to find
It's all middle class teachers
And preachers
From god forsaken places
Like the Orkneys
Or real life Craggy Islands.
Which shouldn't really surprise me
As there must be
Fuck all else to do
When surrounded by sheep
Unless you're Welsh of course.
So fair play th their poets
For finding the time.
Perhaps i'm being a little unfair
There are some working classers
Penning poetry out there
All far more talented
And better than me
But the definition of quality
Is in what you see.
Who knows if my stuff will ever be read?
Knowing my luck it will be after I'm dead
So I won't ever get published, though
Saves the grief of being rubbished.
But I'll carry on to prove a point
That you don't have to be able to print
A scrabble of letters after your name
Or write multi-sylable words
That confuse my brain.
If i can write poetry anyone can!
I shall stop now
As I don't know where this is going.
Reading it through from the start
Even though it's from the heart
It seems like I'm looking for...
Justification.
Well I don't need any.
I am a poet.
I am working class.
I am proud to be both!

Dulwich Poet 10th April 2013

(As I flick through books in the Poetry Library, I realise how difficult it is to find working class writers from cities like London. There seem to be large number of writers who are religious men of the cloth, or from middle class dominated professions, like teaching. I have realised that while my poetry may be average, or even looked down on by 'poetry experts' as rubbish, it is important that I try to continue to write, as a rare worknig class poet...or maybe we're everywhere, but just don't get stuff published...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment