Saturday 8 February 2014

"Embarrassed Buzz"

What is it about writing
That I deny
And keep on fighting?
There's no shame
In being patted on the back
Just because...
Poetry rules I lack.
It's about using my voice
Having my own 'style'
Knowing I can be entertaining
Once in a while.
Sharing with 'real' poets
Who've published books and stuff.
One or two say
They like my work..
Totally off the cuff.
(At least I think they are genuine!)
When they do
My jaw drops wide
Underneath it's scary
Though I'm filled with pride.
I still say I share
Rather than perform
But at 'open mic'
That's the norm.
No idea at all if
My poetry's right or wrong
Should that even matter
I'm not after a gong.
The fact I enjoy writing
Is the thing that's so nice
But when other people like it
Well on that there's no price.

Dulwich Poet 8th February 2014

(I had a slot on the 'open mic' at the monthly 'Poetry Unplugged' tonight. I think the standard is extremely good, and have to pinch myself that I've got the confidence to share in such company, and that, although a poetry novice, can possibly hold my own in such company)

No comments:

Post a Comment