Tuesday 25 February 2014

"Horror Hoarding"

The cupboards may not be
Quite full up...
But the wardrobes are
From floor to ceiling.
Not, as you would expect,
With jackets, trousers
Shirts, shoes and coats
But a million and one
Mothballed books
That will never see
The light of day.
With my Germanic
Central European ancestry
Perhaps my sub-conscious
Is scared to do anything with them
In case comparisions
Are drawn
With book burning.
Now they spread
Over the floor
Block the bedroom door
Surround the telly
Encroaching the front room
And more!
Books spreading
Quicker than triffids
And I don't even
Have that one.
It was time
To feed them
To the hungry green monster
Otherwise known as
The recycling bin.
Thet say you never should
Judge a book
By it's cover
But that was the only way.
Keep.
Bin.
Keep.
Bin.
Keep.
Keep.
Bin.
Bin.
Bin!
They say...
Books are knowledge
And knowledge is power.
I've never understood
How this was...
Until now.
Sifting through-
Decisions, decisions.
To read one day.
To bin.
For the charity shop.
Deep inside
I feel stronger
Doing the right thing
A work in progress
But already
That sense of achievement
That gives me
The strength
To continue
Empowers me and
Makes me feel good.
I would never have thought
Or said that
A week ago.
Fingers crossed
The binmen will have
Done their job today
So I can start all over again tomorrow.

Dulwich Poet 25th February 2014

(My life is a mess, my flat is an even bigger mess. I'm trying to make sense of it, by getting rid of hundreds of books, while keeping many more...but it's a start, at least)

No comments:

Post a Comment