Saturday 8 February 2014

"Freebies"

Beware of those
Bearing a gift
There could be trouble ahead
If you get my drift.
Been to an Open Mic
With headline acts
Could cause embarrassment
If I don't use some tact.
Was happy to purchase
At your discount price
The fact you both said 'no charge'
Was heartwarmingly nice.
Welcoming additions
To my small poetry shelf
Look forward to reading them
And toasting your health.
But now what happens...
If I fail to enjoy
Do I lie through my teeth
And go all coy?
I might like Kevin's
But think Lucy's is shit
Or struggle through both
Only liking a bit.
Now we're sort of mates
Thanks to this gift
'Friendship' could be over
Causing a rift.
Who would have thought
Poetry could cause such strife
By just accepting a book
From a husband & wife?

Dulwich Poet 8th February 2014

( A chap came up to me at the interval of 'Platform One Poetry' this evening, where I had a short Open Mic slot. He said he knew a mate of mine from football! After the night was over, both him and his partner gave me a copy of their published poetry books, and wouldn't take a penny for them, which was very kind, and pleased me no end. Haven't read them, but am sure I will like them...but already I'm in a 'panic' about any possible 'feedback'. if I bump into them again!)
[ And in case you're wondering, both published by Vintage Poison Press, it's 'Birdworld' by Kevin Reinhardt; & 'Tasteless Truths' by Lucy Leagrave. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment