Friday 14 February 2014

"Peckham Peas In A Pod"


That was an Open Mic
I've never experienced
With such a global flavour
And I want more!
People associate Peckham
With 'Fools and Horses' mirth
But in everyday real life
It's the most magical
Melting pot on earth.
At Southwark's Rhyme and Reason
Number Five
The spirit of modern London
Came alive!
Some old biddy hippy
I'll see in a brand new light
Alongside a shaky poetry virgin
Sharing first time
Full of fright.
Students from the Dulwich
Creative Writing Group
Hearing their voices
I'm cock-a-hoop!
Even those read
Not in English
Had to be heard
Obscure Zimbabwean dialect
Though never absurd.
I was privately embarrassed
Didn't know where to look
For I've never picked up
A Maya Angelou book.
The whole shebang
Gave me a wonderful feeling
I may be be in the 'poetry basement'
But I'll be reaching
For that unattainable ceiling...
The night before
I fell flat on my face
But thanks to your Peckham Pod night
My negativity's gone without trace.
 
Dulwich Poet 14th February 2014
 
(Last night I was at an Open Mic evening, at Peckham Library, as part of the ‘Southwark Libraries Rhyme and Reason 5’ poetry festival events.  I read two of mind, was a bit nervous, as I work in libraries, so a few people know me, but I thought I was ok. More than that, some of the stuff shared was brilliant to listen to, I really enjoyed the evening.)

No comments:

Post a Comment