Friday 17 May 2013

"As Old As You Feel"

Out of puff running for the bus
Can't shake off a cold don't make a fuss
Starting to feel winter chills more
If you're over sixty you know the score.
Except sixty plus is...
A decade and a half away
And that's how I feel practically every day.
Feeling old way before my time
When I should be just past my prime.
Tablets for this, tablets for that
May as well join the pension queue chat.
Diabetic and a manky toe
Now MORE tablets on the go
Metformin and Ramipril
Sadly for clinical not a chill pill
Now Sitagliptin and Simvastatin
To add to that list
This time next year
I'll have my own chemist!
I know I'm overweight
And don't look after myself
It's coming home to roost
I've ignored my health.
It's getting to the stage
Where I worry what's to come
How long before life's no longer fun?
Not that it was ever
A bundle of laughs
I'm so lonely on Facebook
A virtual friend's a plastic giraffe!
At least once a week
I'm an out-patient here,
An out-patient there
It's getting to the stage
Where I don't really care.
As it is I'm not in
Too bad health today
But I'm frightened of the future
And don't want to crumble away
I've a number of friends
In a far worse state than me
Maybe time to be less selfish
And wait and see.

Dulwich Poet 17th May 2013

( Went to pick up a repeat prescription, and the two new ones suggested by the doctor were on there too, so start them next week. I'm not ill with anything serious, just a bit of a downer, with going to my local hospital or health centre once a week, with my continual ulcer on my foot; which leads to other assorted health checks)

No comments:

Post a Comment