Thursday 30 May 2013

"Auf Wiedersehen Mutti"

They say the worst moment in your life
Is when your mother dies.
It didn't break my heart
As much as I think
I broke hers.
One of four
The youngest to boot
Luck of the draw
Somebody must be at the bottom
Of the pecking order
The runt of the litter.
Truth is...
I took the time
To say goodbye
Every single day
As you lay
Alone in that hospital bed
Not quite gone
But as good as dead.
The longest two weeks
Of my life.
I know I never lived
Up to your expectations
But let's face it
Who could live up to
Your university boy?
At least
I told you I loved you
And kissed you.
You understood through
That feeble squeeze of the hand
And brief blink of the eyes.
I knew you understood
Despite my naughtiness
There was some good.
In that sense
We had something in common.
Ich liebe meine Mutti.


Dulwich Poet 30th May 2013

(A football friend buried his mum yeserday, which got me thinking when my mum died after a serious stroke)

No comments:

Post a Comment