Thursday 30 May 2013

"Bloody Hell"

They say Eastbourne
Is God's waiting room
I beg to differ.
I am here already
In the waiting room
For blood tests
At Lewisham Hospital.
The only ones younger than me
Are the daughters and sons
Doing their family duty
Looking after their mums.
(Dads cope alone)
Knarled, wrinkly hands
Dangly earrings
Clinging to a beauty long past.
A trembling arm supporting
An array of walking sticks
That your stubborn pride
Insists you do not need.
I've seen the future
And from where I'm sitting
I don't particularly like it.
But...old age comes to us all
Those of us 'lucky' enough
To be still breathing
And not in the funeral notices.
So in true British fashion
I can't complain really.
Apart from the rain outside.

Dulwich Poet 30th May 2013

( I am signed off sick for a week, and had to pop into Lewisham for an x-ray, and for some blood tests. The blood test area was busy)

No comments:

Post a Comment