Friday 24 May 2013

"Suicidal Choice"

Arms outstretched
Imitating wings
That’s what dreams of death brings
Not fluttering but roaring
In a rush past the
Point of no return.
More than once
I’ve stood at that point
On Tower Bridge
Gateway to Sarf Lunnon.
Too much of a coward to jump
Scared of hitting the River with a thump
I don’t want to cry
I just want to die.
It’s that certainty I was after
The finality of death
Absolute taking of my last breath
Finishing my own life WILL be my calling
No changing my mind as I’m falling.
My last thought must be nothing at all
It’s my shout, my last call.
Probably twenty years since
I dangled over the River,
But thinking back
There’s no cold shiver.
As I get older
Suicide’s my fate
Just not ready yet
To set the date.
It’s probably just as well I’m not a loon
Prevents me doing myself in
Either now or too soon
But when I do it WILL be my choice
So have the decency to respect my voice.

Dulwich Poet 24th May 2013

( I often think of suicide, though it’s something way in the future. In the past I have come very close several times)

No comments:

Post a Comment