Saturday 4 May 2013

"Hidden Necessity"

Far too early
To be up at
The crack of dawn
To earn your corn
But needs must
And proud people must
Which explains why
The 63 bus
At four in the morning
Is standing room only
And I’m probably
The only White English born
Person on it.
And with a British passport
In my pocket, to boot!
Though I didn’t check upstairs;
But let’s face it who cares
As long as your
Office gets cleaned
For a pittance.
Slavery was abolished
Generations ago
But the spirit lives on.

Dulwich Poet 4th May 2013

( I wrote this after the ‘success’ of the far-right ‘mainstream’ UKIP, in Thursday’s local council elections, albeit there were none in major cities. It made me think how businesses in the City would creak to a halt without their very poorly paid immigrant cleaning & security staff, and the ‘bus’ refers to when I occasionally get the first Eurostar of the morning from St Pancras International, when I go abroad, and who I see on the buses,in the middle of the night, to get there)

No comments:

Post a Comment