Thursday 30 May 2013

"Not Quite Forgotten"

Who were you?
Douglas Goldring?
A poet for sure.
And I know you're no more.
As the book of your poetry
Was published in nineteen twenty.
(We're like old friends now actually,
As on Wiki there's plenty)
Ancient stuff doesn't usually catch my eye
But your book 'Streets' is set in London
So I'll give it try.
I don't if you're a gambling man
But I bet you didn't expect
Almost a century later
For it to be in anyone's hand
Not lost in the mists of time
But preserved for your rhyme
Decades later I'm reading for leisure
The poems you wrote for a bit of pleasure.

Much appreciated, old boy.

Dulwich Poet 30th May 2013

(I picked up this old book from the Poetry Library today, I tend to go for more modern ones, but this was one about London, & I devour anything really by London poets, or ones who write about my city)

No comments:

Post a Comment