Monday 24 June 2013

"Ger Orf Moi Laaand!"

I'm just grateful it's not for me
Not my spiritual cup of tea
Pray for you, pray for me.
So much more than four walls
And a steeple.
I love the old buildings
But not what you preach
Someone like me
Is out of your reach
Which is just a well as
We're expected to let Jesus
Into our heart
Opening your door
Would be a start!
Go to most churches
There's a bolted door
Jesus loves you
But you know the score
Not quite enough to let you
Enter the House of God
Best to be safe
If you seem a bit odd.
All His belongings
Under lock and key
If you're honoured
Through glass you can see.
Never mind preace and sanctuary
During the day
"We don't trust you thieves"
Is what you say.
Maybe you're not quite so direct
But locking your building has that effect.
If you don't welcome your 'flock' on days of the week
No wonder Sunday turnouts are ever so bleak.
Why not open up and let me in
Instead of pre-judging
Assuming we'll sin.

Dulwich Poet 24th June 2013

(This one is about so many churches being locked, so you can't actually get into them, on almost every day of the week, hardly welcoming, which I think is wrong)

No comments:

Post a Comment