Thursday 27 June 2013

"Weary Stranger"

Sat on a 363,
To the Old Kent Road,
If you're interested
Which I know you're not.
That little fact is irrelevant
As is this whole poem probably.
But I digress.
Sat next to me
Is an old man
I could probably try to guess his age
But don't really want to
As it's probably far close to mine
Than I care to admit.
Wrinkled thick veined hands
No wedding bands
Dirty clothes
Slightly pongy on the nose
But in a been hard at work
Not trampy sort of way.
He has his dignity
A good old fashioned grafter
Not too worn for a bit of laughter
As he's on his phone having a chat
My dog & bone's as old as that.
Looks as though he's knackered from work
But never been one to shirk.
He appears content with his lot
Probably doesn't own a lot.
Got me thinking about the cards we're dealt
Life's not about how you play them
More how they're felt.

Dulwich Poet 26th June 2013

(I was on a bus today, when an old man, probably early to mid sixties, sat next to me. He looked weary with life, but observing more, he was clearly happy with his lot. I have no idea if this is true, but sort of hoped it was, so I could learn from his basic humbleness of 'accepting your lot', if that makes sense. )

No comments:

Post a Comment