Monday 17 June 2013

"The Proud Jocks"

Oh flower of Scotland
When will I see
Your like again?
I tend to think I’m not a fool
Even though I was at school
But when it came to you jocks
I was in the dark
A foreign race so far apart.
Going north of the border opens your eyes
So much more than haggis & macaroni pies.
What I mistook as a chip on their shoulder
Is something else centuries older
A love of your country proud of it’s past
Burning heart pride that will always last
A peculiar country with your little quirks
Not to mention men in skirts!
A strange language I cannae comprehend
Unintelligible English round the bend.
But Scotland has something I cannot find
What us English cannot define
Being Scottish is something you can grasp
Us poor old English have nothing to clasp
Our past is in the Kingdom entwined
Proud to be English it’s in the mind.
I have no idea how to define national pride
Unlike over Hadrians Wall on the other side.
What’s going through my heid is bang oot of order
I’m well jealous of those north of the border!

Dulwich Mishi 17th June 2013

( Returning from a break in Edinburgh, having visited a number of their museums, I-for the first time in my life-began to grasp what it means for them to be Scottish. It felt as if there was more pride in them being Scottish, than there was for me being English)

No comments:

Post a Comment