Saturday 15 June 2013

"Martin"

Sometimes I wish
I was more of a communicator
Perhaps I would have known you more
Now it's too late on that score.
They say only the good die young
In your case it was true.
That's the thing with death
It's only after your last breath
That I learn so much about you.
Who you were. What you did.
A young man who accepted himself
Training to be a journalist
And a great footballer too.
Everything I am not.
If there was any justice in this world
My time would be up without any fuss
And you wouldn't drop dead
On an east London floor
Stuck behind a bathroom door.
Is there such a thing
As heaven or hell
Only you will be able to tell
But I'm convinced there's no such place
And your death proves the case.
Rapists, nonces, drug dealers peddling gear
Walking and breathing without any fear
If it's really that mythical chap 'God'
Who has to pick and choose
Why not those with nothing to lose?
Ending a good life so premature
A loving 'God' should know the score
Putting evil trash in the ground
Not decent people totally sound.
If there's an afterlife, Martin
I wish you well
And hope that bastard 'God'
Rots in hell!


 

Dulwich Poet 15th June 2013

(On the morning of Saturday 1st June the 27 year old goalkeeper of the Queen's Park supporters team, collapsed & died in his hotel, down in London to play in the Leyton Orient supporters tournament. I didn't know him well, but he was always friendly on our own visits to Glasgow, to play them in 11-a-side games, and their own tournament)

No comments:

Post a Comment