Thursday 27 June 2013

"You've Lost Me"

The thing about writing
Is how you're tempted
For just a split second
With flyers from fanzines
And assorted magazines
Asking for your
Original poetry.
'Splinter' invites quality submissions...
Quality? Not up my street
Unless wrapped in a
Multitude of colours
In a large half-price tin
From the Co-Op to scoff
Home alone on Christmas Day.
That's my quality
As I can't write for toffee.
But on reflection..
There's nothing to lose
Just rejection
Which I'm more than used to.
So what's the harm
In giving it a go but
Is my poetry of
Their quality to show?
I can chew after what they require:
"The theme for the launch edition is
Dissonance and
Or synaethesia,
So whether you improvise,
Polymerise, disseminate,
Or aggravate,
Send us ideas pressed against each other,
Faces superimposed,
Something no-one has seen before."
On second thoughts
Having read that pretentious crap
Of which I couldn't understand a word
I now know
The definitive meaning of
"What The Fuck?"
They've totally lost me.
I think I'll stick to my blog.

Dulwich Poet 26th June 2013

(I was in the Poetry Library, and glanced at one of the many fliers they have on a leaflet rack. As you can guess, I wasn't too impressed. )

No comments:

Post a Comment