Sunday 16 June 2013

"Writers Block"

I compare thee to a summers day
Well I wish I could
But I’m not that sort of writer
If only I were bright.
Instead I wrack my brain
Digging into its deepest depths
Desperately searching for a word
That sounds worthy for inclusion.
Sometimes it’s a struggle
Hardly worth the trouble
Of enduring mental exhaustion.
The only thing I compare to
Is the reclusive old man
With his clutch of dirty carrier bags
Overflowing with an assortment of
Newspapers, leaflets and notebooks.
A wandering portable
Personal recycling unit
Who scribbles crazy thoughts
On scraps of paper
Sat in a corner
Trying to be anonymous
Of the local library.
That’s the closest I’ll get
To  ‘poetry irony’ today.

Dulwich Poet 16th June 2013

( Sometimes I really struggle to write, feeling my vocabulary is far to small. When I get writing I can feel like the ‘stereotype library eccentric’…the ‘irony’ being…I actually work in a public library)

No comments:

Post a Comment