Friday 7 June 2013

"Old Man Memories"

It's the men I remember
It seems a lifetime ago
And I suppose it is.
Childhood.
The sunday school teacher
Yes you were a preacher
But I loved your flavoured cubes of ice
Even though I didn't believe you when
You said you invented Tizer.
The big fat policeman ever so cruel
Clip round the ear if you weren't at school
Supposed to uphold law & order
But a bully so I was happy when you got stabbed.
Fearsome headmaster with cane up your sleeve
No matter what I said you wouldn't believe
I was so happy when you died
The only one in mass who pretended he cried.
Lazy milkman sat in his float
Hands stuck firmly in his white coat
I struggled with his full pints and crates of empties
For a slave labor pocket money pittance.
Grumpy bus driver on the 176
We'd scream & holler getting up to our tricks
Shouting, laughing, stamping our feet
As we drove his bus from over his head.
Gas Meter Man emptied the box under the sink
We wanted his money to buy a soft drink
He was never as rich as he should be
As downstairs meter was already with me.
Not enough money for a portion of chips
Man in the shop would give us the drips
Crackling and fat for just a penny
Before childhood obesity had been invented.
Then there was the man at football who'd give you two bob
If you'd let him do a secret job
His hand down your trousers having a feel
No Childline back then so not such a deal.
Then there was the man whose pockets I'd rob
He catch me & beat me making me sob
Black & blue bruises as I'd been bad
He was allowed to do that as he was my dad.
I've come to the conclusion my childhood was shit
If this is all I can remember from it
Calling this a poem is taking the piss
If I can't come up with better than this.
Goodnight children.

Dulwich Poet 6th June 2013

(I had this idea to write about men from my childhood, but really struggled with it, and gave up. This poem just didn't work for me at all...)

No comments:

Post a Comment