Friday 21 June 2013

"In The Waiting Room"

Is this really the reality
Week after week
Month after month
Year after fucking year?
Scouring and devouring
Column by column
Page by page
Today’s edition of the ‘Metro’.
The only alternative being
A three month old ‘Country Life’
Perfect for inner city Lewisham
Or the Christmas copy
Of ‘Cosmopolitan’
In flaming June!
Such is life
In the waiting room.
If I ever get to the stage
Where I am like that old dear
Sat rocking in her wheelchair
Thin strands of hair matting
Spittle dribbling out of her cracked
Needlessly lipstick caked mouth
Then, please, do the decent thing
And treat me like you would a horse
Take me outside and have me shot
Then melted down for glue.
Life is hardly a bowl of cherries
Far too healthy for me anyway
But I beg you never let me
End up so desperately lonely
As the old boy opposite
Highlight of his morning being
Swilling & swigging that rancid coffee
From the polystyrene cup
As the nurse stops
For a double take
And asks if he is due to be seen
Right now this early
As he cheerily lets her know
He’s here for his eleven o’clock
As if he’s making a day of it
When it’s not even
Half past nine!
For which the expression
“Good grief!” was invented.
Supposedly I’m still young
At a not so spring chicken forty six
But the great Soprano just pegged it
At a mere fifty one.
Fearful of my own mortality
Knowing I’ll be a young fatality
Whatever hopes and dreams
I once had decades past
Are faded and gone.
Now resigned to an existence
Of hospital waiting rooms
Bandages and pills
Papering over the crack
Of a lifetime of non-achievement
Which is why I retreat
Into my make-believe poetic insularity
Waiting for that final breath
Death-that I both fear and crave for.

Dulwich Poet 21st June 2013

(Another routine hospital appointment, at the Acute Foot Clinic at Lewisham Hospital, this morning. These are my thoughts, while sitting bored, waiting for my appointment, with the realisation that I am not longer young, something that I have been aware of for quite a while. But it hits home more with more visits to doctors, as age catches up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment