Wednesday 10 July 2013

"And Relax"

I've been to the hospital
Nails clipped.
Inspection done.
New footwear presented.
Now what to do
On my day pff?
Choice. Panic.
Unsure. Insecure.
Take a pew.
Not literally
I' sat on a bench
Outside the church.
In Beckenham, no less.
Who says I can't do posh?
Shaded under trees
Cooled by a slight breeze
As the mid-summer sunshine
Breaks through the clouds
And gaps in the leaves.
I'm sat here on
A worn wooden bench
Presented by the
Ancient Order of Foresters
To honour their landmark
One and a half centuries
Of existence in
Nineteen Eighty Four
An Orwellian future
Which never really materialised
Expect in the heads of those
Even more paranoid than me.
I wish I had a time machine
To go back and put
My life to rights.
To go back then to my teens
When I last wrote some poetry
Until now.
Perhaps this is what is meant
By your life going full circle?
Maybe there is somebody
Who can provide the answer
But I am currently surrounded
By fading headstones
Lives long past
Not missed but forgotten.
I am not dead yet
But I can releate to that
Sat on 'my' bench.
Lonely? Yes.
Sad? Naturally.
Solitude....
I could get used to this.

Dulwich Poet 10th July 2013

(It's a nice sunny day, I am off work, and have nothing planned, having had an out-patients appointment at Lewisham Hospital. I jumped on a bus, and got off in Beckenham. And sat in the churchyard in the town centre, next to the parish church. This poem was what came out of my head when I got my notebook out, enjoying the peaceful moment)

No comments:

Post a Comment