Sunday 7 July 2013

"Sit Down, Shut Up"

Call me old fashioned
But I was always taught
To give up my seat on a bus
Without ant fuss
To those in need
By my mum or she'd
Give me a good old fashioned
Clip round the ear.
Don't forget that I was
The pre-Childline generation.
Today was boiling and
I plonked myself down
On a seat on the 202
Which then caused me to frown
As a man hobbled on slow
He had a stick I was ready to go
''Ere you go, mate"
But he took the pew next to me
So he could rest his weary knee
But even gammied up
He was also old fashioned wise
His older mum was behind
So HE began to rise
She said she would be fine holding the rail
But he insisted as she was quite frail.
So up he got and I must admit
I did have a touch of guilt
Then I looking at him standing
And my shame began to wilt
As soon as I saw his leg
I had to stifle a laugh out loud
Staying on my arse I was rather proud
Certain it was the right thing to do
For his left calf was covered
With a bastard Man United tattoo!

Dulwich Poet 6th July 2013

(It was bakibg hot, I got on a 202cbus in Catford, busy with Saturday shoppers. A bloke, maybe not even as old as me, got on, and clearly had a bad knee, with a walking stick for support. I was just about to reluctantly get up, when he sat next to me. He then offered his seat to his mum, who was a pensioner, I should have offered her my seat, but hesitated, as I was tired. He gave up his, I saw his tattoo, and as a Londoner, felt 'vindicated'! )

No comments:

Post a Comment