Wednesday 3 July 2013

"Station Barge"

Out of nowhere
You came toward me
Across the concourse
On Waterloo Station
Thankfully not under the clock
As we might have hesitated
Allowing people to misinterpret
Our chance meeting
No matter how fleeting.
At least I never had a flower in my lapel
So no chance of that sort of confusion.
More like two ships passing in the night
Or a gigantic crude oil tanker
In your case.
And it was just five in the afternoon.
Judging by your shopping
Your pedigree was impeccible
But the holdall was paper
From Primark no less
Stating you were a green bag
Whereas I just had you down as
A good old fashioned fat cow.
Shopping for cheap threads
To save your pennies
For another plate of cream cakes.
Waddling at pace
Almost sending me flying
In a rush for your train
No pain no gain
To make sure you got back
Before the closed sign appears
On the door of your local Greggs.
I'm glad I'm off work today
And this isn't my route home
Being squashed in a seat next to you
Really would be commuter hell.

Dulwich Poet 3rd July 2013

( Walking through Waterloo Station a huge fat lady nearly knocked me over, as she rushed for her train. I'm overweight myself, but I find it strange that 'stupid fat cow' goes through my head, even if I'm fat myself. From that 'brief encounter' came this poem!)

No comments:

Post a Comment