Thursday 4 July 2013

"Big Wheels"

Thirty two capsules
Sounds like a sickly man's
Medicinal cabinet.
Nothing of the sort
The jewel in the Capital's sky
I'm staring at our London Eye.
Call me old fashioned if you must
I prefer the one that catches dust
The creaky, swaying wooden beauty
That is the Cold War time warp cutey!
Sitting in splendour needs to be seen
In the Prater slap bang in Wien.
Our modern version has it's own style
For height alone superior by miles.
Old meets new
From one generation to another
One in my own home city
And another in the one of my Mutti.
Both are magical in their own way
I've been on the two as they sway
A little of both are in my heart
Despite being so far apart
If only I had money
To save and play
I'd make a pilgrimage to both
On the same day.

Dulwich Poet 3rd July 2013

( I was staring at the London Eye big wheel on the Thames today, and got thinking about the big wheel in the Prater park, in Vienna)

No comments:

Post a Comment