Friday 19 July 2013

"Stick To The rules"

I’m going to be brief
And to the point.
The more poetry I devour
The more I learn
That the only rule
You need to know
About writing poetry
Is that there are
NO RULES!
Which is cool by me.
I’ve just learnt
Something else too.
A middle aged man
Forty six; going on
Forty seven
Shouldn’t really
Be using words like cool.
I’ll put it down to the heat.

Dulwich Poet 19th July 2013

( I hadn’t written anything for a few days, maybe it’s because we’re slap bang in the middle of a rare heatwave? I jotted this down on the train into work. Sometimes it’s needs something as simple as this to get the mind ticking over. Not so much the message of the poem that’s important, or the quality. Just something that helps you pick up a pen and scribbling anything…)

No comments:

Post a Comment