Friday 12 July 2013

"Vocab Rehab"


It’s all words
Mumbo jumbo
Not meaningful or deep
As repetitive as a field of sheep.
Throw a few dozen words
Up in the air
See how they land
Welcome to the world
Of my poetry bland.
Possibly, if I could
Start from scratch
Recincarnation without
My current life first
I could have more of a
Vocabulary burst
If  I were born again
A ‘Me’ mark II
Pronouncing my aitches and tees
From a posh middle class household
Where pater paid school fees.
Could I express myself more
Than I have ever done
If I’d grown up with the Telegraph & Times
Rather than tits in The Sun?
But on reflection
I don’t have to baffle
I got a working class ticket
In life’s raffle.
Time to break down this poetry mystique
There is no shame in being a freak.
My words are simple and concise
For me that’s enough to suffice.
With my stuff you know what you’ve read
No frown or confusion like those well bred.
Award winning poetry
Looks like you’ve lost the plot
I’ll write what I can
With the words that I’ve got.
At last I enjoy poetry
I have no shame
Something for the masses
To stand up and claim
If I can be poet so can you
It really is so simple to do.
When you’re pissed in a boozer
Or filling your belly in a caff
Telling a story or half true tale
To pass the time while drinking ale
Just jot it down like one does
And you got all you need nailed
Power to the people
Power to the pen
Time for working class writing
To rise again!

Dulwich Poet 12th July 2013

( I wrote this to sort accept I like poetry, and not to worry that my stuff isn’t too fancy, or full of big words that  I don’t know the meaning of. Poetry should be simple, for everyone to write and enjoy. Not to be scared of!)

No comments:

Post a Comment