Saturday 20 July 2013

"Overheating"

I owe you no loyalty
But with personal pride
Comes responsibility
Hence the reason
I am half collapsed
In an air conditioned
Overground train
Heading toward Canada Water
No pain, no gain
Bounding two steps at a time
Up and over the bridge
To ensure I'm ready and waiting
As the doors open at nine
For a cardigan clad granny
Resplendent in her winter coat
At the height of the heat
Dotty old dear
Fresh bread already purchased
From the nearby baker
By the ancient mover and shaker
But only because of
The onset of Parkinsons.
Or whatever disease old people get.
But she is not the present yet.

I am still on my way
Recovering on my bright
Overground orange pew
My chest rises rapidly
Control my breathing
And failing miserably
I hasten to add.
Book held across my chest
In a vain attempt to disguise
How totally out of shape I am
Distracting myself by
Not gawping at the
Gorgeous Eastern European boy
Sat opposite.
Way out of my league.
But aren't they all?
Cue more heavy breathing.

Dulwich Poet 20th July 2013

( I dashed for the train to work this morning, so I wouldn't be late. As it was a Saturday the train wasn't packed like sardines, as it is on a weekday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment