Wednesday 3 July 2013

"Past Reflection"

Beers and coca cola light
That was my Belgian Friday night
Some sort of carnival came into town
Strange Europop was the sound
What struck me most was people having fun
In the rain, post setting sun
Couldn't understand a word that was said
As we found shelter above our head
Behind us through a shopping centre door
A small group of drunks on the floor.
My Belgian friends having a good time
My mind wandered to the local bums in grime
Just as well I couldn't speak French
How could I explain about a park bench?
For that is what my home would have become
If I hadn't accepted my drinking days were done.
A different day, another place
In those Namur street drinkers
I saw my face.
I'm still scared what lies ahead
But if I'd carried on boozing
I'd now be dead.
No idea where my future will lie
I know a shop doorway
Is not where I want to die.
All I need is to find that spark
The one that finally kickstarts
This enjoying life lark.


Dulwich Poet 1st July 2013

(On Friday evening I went into the centre of Namur, with my friends. There was some sort of open street carnival going on, lots of drinking and music. Behind us, in a small shopping parade doorway was a group of local street drinkers. I was reflecting that, if I had gone one or two more rungs down the alcoholic ladder before I jumped off, that could so easily have been me)

No comments:

Post a Comment