Wednesday 10 July 2013

"Books for Chaps"

So tell me
What are you?
Surely a book
Is a book
Is a book?
But not you.
You are a special book.
For chaps.
But what type of chap are you for?
The ones who are rather posh
Who go 'Jolly good old bean'
And ask me to 'be a good chap'.
Or perhaps a bit more
Rough and ready.
The sort of chap
Who wears Burberry
Goes to football
And says: 'Do you want some?'
So come on
What sort of chap
Are you?
Me?
I'm just a poet.
Not a chap.

Dulwich Poet 10th July 2013

(Reading poetry books and magazines, a number of poets list their previous books, and something else called a 'chapbook', which it turns out, after I've looked it up, is not a book at all, but a pamphlet. )


(I read this poem out at Walthamstow Library on Friday 16th August 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment