Sunday 14 July 2013

"Train of Thought"

What a delight
Just to park
Your bum and ride
On a South-West Train
On rare Sundays like this
When Cornettos melt
And drip onto the platform
Before you've reached
The crunchy bit
That's how hot it is.
All aboard!
Transported into a
Different world.
Nobody at work today
The off-duty hoardes
Are still guarding
Their precious square yard
Of burning sand at the seaside
We shall fight them on the beaches.
Meanwhile, I can stroll
Down air conditioned carriages
Glancing at cooling
Sweaty but no longer perspiring
T-shirt wearing men
As I head down
To the front of the train.
Lots of skimpily clad
Women too.
I cannot tell if they
Have clocked me
Eyeing up their fellas
As their poker player eyes
Give nothing away
Behind their shady specs.
Time to sit and dream
Ice cold air awakening
My overheated dirty mind
As I drift off
Into my make believe
Lonely fantasy world.
Time to get off...
All thoughts dampened down
Time to melt away
Fantasy overcooked
Back on the slow burner
My thoughts are frazzled
Not just now...
But for life.
Here is Waterloo Station.
All change!
As things stay the same.

Dulwich Poet 14th July 2013

( I got on a train today, for a short journey from Wimbledon to Waterloo. The train was not crowded, South-West Trains have very good air conditioning, and my mind wandered to other passengers, on a baking hot day)

No comments:

Post a Comment