Wednesday 3 July 2013

"One Trick Pony"

Sometimes I wonder
How much more
Of this poetry pony
I can churn out?
Banish those thoughts
It's not entertainment
For the masses.
This is my own
Personal therapy.
If that doesn't impress you
It wasn't meant to.
Not my fault I have
Never swallowed and digested
An Oxford Concise.
Feel free to read on
If you accept my limitations.
I never thought much
Of that Tommy Cooper
Thought his best trick
Was the night he died on stage
But the nation loved him
Thought he was a national treasure.
I don't expect
To give you such pleasure
But if one or two people
Can read my writing
And think some of it is ok
Then I'll be as happy as
The unfunny man with the fez.
I really am that easy to please
Just like that.

Dulwich Poet 1st July 2013

(I wrote this after jotting down a few on the same day. I tend to worry that my vocabulary is not extensive enough to write poetry on a regular basis. But I write because I enjoy it, not to entertain, And what one person likes, another doesn't. I never found Tommy Cooper funny, but lots of people did. So it's all down to personal taste. I shouldn't care what others think of my poems, I don't write for anyone else.)


(I read this at 'Outsider Performers', part of the Shuffle Festival , which was on the sit of St. Clements Hospital, Bow, E3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment