Sunday 7 July 2013

"Too hot to stand"

There's no rush
I am on my way home
But it's a detour of sorts
Even if it's the wrong way.
I'm hot. As in temperature.
I'm bothered. As in just tired.
My platform looked crowded
Certainly for a Sunday
Too many people out
On a sunny funday.
So I'm heading
In the other direction.
To relax.
Overground to Hoxton
And a seat to myself
All the way back to Sydenham.
Although I'm wide awake
It's also easier
To fall asleep
While sitting down.
Or as they say in
Shoreditch territory
A power nap.
How refeshing.
How Heineken.
Close call!
It's easy to forget
I'm a recovering alcoholic
On days like this
Such a temptation
To go on the piss.
Saved!
By a Sainsburys special offer
Pepsi Max-a pound.
Almost home safe and sound.

Dulwich Poet 7th July 2013

( Canada Water is a very busy station, and often there's a crush to get a seat. Which if you're tired, or in hot weather, it can be uncomfortable standing. Sometimes I get a train a few stops the other way, if I'm not in arush to get anywhere, just to get a seat. Sometimes, after work, I doze off, and end up at Highbury & Islington, at the end of the line! Today, walking about in the heat, my mind was playing trocks with me, and I was a bit wistful for pubs on hot days like this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment